Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


In Panem, North America, on Reaping Day, one boy and one girl are chosen from each of the 12 districts to participate in the Hunger Games. The games are televised and everyone must watch the competition to the death. Only one person can win and they must kill all of the others. Katniss's younger sister Primrose is chosen from their district. She is young and inexperienced, so Katniss volunteers to go in her place. Katniss is a hunter, a survivor. She thinks she can survive and perhaps win. The boy who is chosen is Peeta Mellark, the bakers son who has always loved Katniss. Haymitch, the only previous winner from Seam, their home district, is their mentor. He is always drunk, and Katniss and Peeta don't feel like he will be any help to them. As the games develop, Katniss befriends Rue, a 12 year old girl from District 11. Eventually she realizes that Peetah has been helping her and they form an alliance. In the end, they are both chosen as winners, although the Capitol is very angry and tries to kill them. They have fallen in love, but is Katniss really in love or just doing it for the audience? A sequel to follow.

1 comment:

  1. My name is Katniss. I live in Panem and I love to hunt. That’s a good thing, because I can provide most of the food for my mom, my little sister Prim, and me. Today was Reaping Day. They chose our representatives today for the Hunger Games. One boy and one girl to represent each of the twelve districts. The games will be televised and everyone must watch. The games are a battle to the death. Only one teenager will live. Some of the contestants will have trained all of their lives for this game, to bring honor to their district. I really didn’t plan to volunteer - it just came out. When they called my little sister’s name and I saw her walking up to the podium, I just couldn’t let her go. The other representative is Peeta, the baker’s son. He won’t be any help. He can’t do anything. He was nice to me once though. He gave me some burned bread from the bakery one night when I was very hungry. We’re leaving now for the Capitol where we’ll meet the other contestants. There’s no way out, survive or die. Find out what happens to me in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

    ReplyDelete