Monday, February 23, 2009

Partly cloudy: Poems of Love and Longing by Gary Soto



"It's February, and love is in the air. Gary Soto has written a new book called Partly Cloudy: Poems of Love and Longing. The first half is titled Girls' Tears, Her Songs and the 2nd half is A Boy's Body, His Words. Let's hear one from the the girls'.

ROUGH HANDS

Lotion is a slippery, perfumed concoction,
Applied on a winter day

When an icy wind sings through the bare trees
But I prefer my hands rough

This way, when I hold yours,
You won't slip away.

From the Boy's:

RATIONALE

Already tall at thirteen, she walks
In platform shoes. I can't help

But think like a guy. We could use a center--

We're 0-3 at the start of the season,
And so ugly on the court

We could use a beauty.

---------------------------------------------------

My follow-up questions will probably be rhetorical since I suspect most will not willingly discuss such matters. Does Soto ring true to you? Have you ever known anyone who was lovestruck? Soto also has poems describing love for pets, which is a love most of have experienced. If you haven't read much poetry, give this a chance. I think you'll be delightfully surprised."
(Happy Valentine's day and pass out candy if permitted.)
by Barbara Thach
(from Nancy Keane's booktalking course)

No comments:

Post a Comment